Func Industries is famous for producing great mouse pads for gamers. Their original sUrface1030 mouse pad was the favourite of many gamers all over the world and rightly so.
But being the best is never good enough, not in this competitive industry. And so, Func redesigned the sUrface1030 to produce their latest mousing solution for gamers - the new Func sUrface1030 Archetype!
Archetype essentially means "the original model", after which all other similar or subsequent products are merely patterned, copied or emulated. But in that sense, the original sUrface1030 should actually be considered the real archetype since it was the precursor for the new mouse pad.
Of course, Func was probably insinuating that this mouse pad is the genesis of a new generation of mouse pads that their competitors have no choice but to copy or emulate. But whether they succeeded in doing so or not, well, that's what we are here to find out!
Func actually has two sUrface1030 Archetype models, each with a different type of base. The current Archetype model that you can buy has a hard plastic base that Func claims feels like suede. There will be a subsequent Archetype model with a machined billet aluminium base that will be as "hard as nails".
Today, we will be taking a look at their current sUrface1030 Archetype model which comes with a hard plastic base. Let's take a look at what's new in this mouse pad!
The New Archetype
The Func sUrface1030 Archetype was based on the original sUrface1030. In fact, if you place them side-by-side, you will easily see the Archetype's lineage. But are they really that similar?
The new Archetype
The original sUrface1030
Let's take a look at what Func has to say about the new sUrface1030 Archetype and how it compares with the original sUrface1030.
- The redesigned Archetype is more than 20% larger than the original sUrface1030 mousing solution
- New attractive shape - allows for even more mousing area
- Completely redesigned hard base that has a sleek, soft-feel coating that feels like suede
- New 'finger holes' in the base enable the surface sheet to be turned over quickly and easily - allowing you to switch between surface textures within a matter of seconds
- Improved cord clip is constructed out of an upgraded, stronger material
- Cord clip connects at one of two locations which accommodates both left and right-handed users
Sounds like Func did more than just increase the size of the mousing surface. Of course, its reversible, dual-sided mousing surfaces seem to be the same as that of the original sUrface1030. It would be interesting to see if the other new features are sufficient to entice current sUrface1030 users to upgrade to the new Archetype.